May 18, 2018
Competition Alumni Are Achieving...and Thriving
May 17, 2018
Winners Named in 2018 Rhode Island Business Plan Competition
April 26, 2018
Six Finalists Selected in 2018 Rhode Island Business Plan Competition
April 10, 2018
Rhode Island Business Plan Competition Names 14 Semi-finalists
March 5, 2018
RI Business Plan Competition to Award Prizes Valued at $265,000; Names Nine Judges
January 10, 2018
RI Business Plan Competition Welcomes Cox Business as Top-Level Sponsor
November 13, 2017
Rhode Island Business Plan Competition Announces Free Workshops
November 2, 2017
Product that Identifies Mold for Indoor Farmers Wins Annual Elevator Pitch Contest
August 28, 2017
2018 Rhode Island Business Plan Competition to Launch Sept. 14
Throughout the 2018 Rhode Island Business Plan Competition a number of free public events will be held to help applicants and potential applicants prepare to do their best. (Exact dates to be announced in August 2017.)
|Sept. 14, 2017
|Launch of 2018 Competition
|Former competitors will told how they have fared. Details.
|Nov. 1, 2017
|Rhode Island Elevator Pitch Contest
|33 people pitched their ideas to a panel of judges, who gave immediate feedback. Details.
|Dec. 6, 2017
|Workshop: Define Your Business Idea
|Business experts provided guidance on how to turn an idea into a business. Details.
|Jan. 11, 2018
|Workshop: Know Your Customer
|Expert advice on figuring out who your customers are. Details.
|Feb. 8, 2018
||Workshop: Make Your Business Case
|A business builder provided guidance on how to present your plan. Details.
|March 8, 2018
|Workshop: Win Over Investors
|Seasoned investors told how to make a winning presentation. Details.
|May 17, 2018
|Winners were announced at a public ceremony. Details.
Bizplan Competition Alumni News
Competition Are Achieving...and Thriving. See the video!
Tvar EdTech – 2017 Student Track Winner
- Won $50,000 grand prize in the 2017 "Get Started Rhode Island" business pitch competition
Response Technologies – 2016 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- Working on the first year of a $1.5 million award from the Department of Defense to reduce the total ownership costs of crash worthy fuel tanks.
- 3 full-time, 2 part-time employees.
Mighty Well – 2016 Student Track Winner
- Won $250,000 in Babson Breakaway Challenge, to help scale the business in Rhode Island.
- Hired 2 full-time, 2 part-time staff, 2 part-time consultants, and 5 interns.
- Manufacturing with Pyramid Case Co in Olneyville, and hired McGarry&Sons to help build out a 5-piece capsule collection.
-- 2010 Green Track Winner -- Now a Competition sponsor!
- Employing 35, and growing rapidly.
- Now helping 3,000+ New England kitchens manage their cooking oil.
- Producing and selling millions of gallons of biodiesel, derived from used cooking oil, annually.
– 2012 Technology Award Winner
- Sold more than 1,000 boat monitoring and tracking systems to date.
- Raised $1.5 million in seed funding for development of next-generation products.
- Signed deal with Vodafone to be Siren’s global cellular provider.
- Launched second generation products in Q2 2017.
– 2007 Student Track Winner – Now a Competition sponsor!
- Acquired in February 2016 by Virgin Pulse, part of Richard Branson's Virgin Group.
- Founder Rajiv Kumar is now president and chief medical officer of the Virgin Pulse Institute.
- Client base now exceeds 600 organizations, including eight of the Fortune 50.
Social Enterprise Greenhouse – 2012 Entrepreneur Track Finalist – Now a Competition sponsor!
- Launched its first food accelerator in February 2016.
- Introduced its sixth cohort of Impact Accelerator program participants.
- Cited as a key element in helping to make Providence a top startup market in the U.S.
– 2014 Entrepreneur Track Finalist – Now a Competition sponsor
- Now selling nationally – California, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan.
- Became an SBA-certified, woman-owned small business.
Maternova – 2011 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
CompNet Insurance Solutions
- Partnering with a team in Brazil to run a trial of the CRADLE vital signs monitoring device.
- Partnering with Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation to introduce the Pratt Pouch to 40,000 HIV-positive mothers in Uganda.
- Sending thousands of rapid schistosomiasis test kits to the Philippines to equip a Brown University team.
- Partnering with a major humanitarian organization and sending thousands of rapid dengue test kits to their teams for the first time.
– 2014 Entrepreneur Track Winner – Now a Competition sponsor!
- On track to write $5 million in premiums in 2017.
- Launched a marketing partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.
- Established partnerships with the Retail Association of Massachusetts, Retail Association of New Hampshire, Virginia Chamber Commerce, and National Payroll Services.
– 2011 Student Track Winner
- Raised $4.6M .
- Launched in CVS and GNC stores nationwide in 2015.
- Its four products sell at CVS, GNC, Amazon, and Target.com.
Clara – 2016 Student Track Semi-finalist
- Raised a $750,000 pre-seed round of financing from VCs and angels.
- 9 employees.
Neurotecnix – 2016 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
XactSense – 2016 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
- Signed partnership agreements with Psychogenics and another company that is a global leader in animal health care.
- Raised $200K to launch pilot programs with major cell tower owners, carriers, and engineers in the U.S.
- New prototypes and full working systems in use now.
- 4 full-time employees.
– 2009 Student Track Semi-finalist
ProThera Biologics – 2010 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- Developed national partner network
- Named a "Rising Star" by SBANE
- Raised more than $5 million from investors.
- Established a key alliance for the manufacture of Inter-Alpha Inhibitor Protein (IAIP) with a world leading producer of plasma proteins for clinical use.
- Completed two commercial development agreements to advance IAIP into clinical use.
- Secured additional funding to sustain operations from SBIR grants and professional investors.
– 2012 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
- Named one of Top 100 Free Finance Apps on both iPhone and Android.
- Launched a Spanish translation of its product.
- Hired its seventh full-time employee.
– 2007 Student Track Finalist
- Collaborating with Pleasant Dreams, a Dutch game designer, that took the company to conferences, including PAX East in Boston, Boston FIG, PAX Prime in Seattle, and IndieCade in Los Angeles.
- 5 full time employees.
American Ecotech – 2011 Green Winner
Aten Energy Conservation
- Completed developing the nation’s most advanced truly mobile 4WD air pollution monitoring vehicle.
- Working on developing the world’s first environmental testing chamber that is able to mimic any ambient air environment and integrates references sensors in order to test small sensor technologies accurately.
- Developed the first versatile data acquisition technologies deemed suitable for networking ambient air monitoring applications under $2,000.
– 2010 Green Semi-finalist
- Since competing in 2010, Aten Energy Conservation has worked on more than 1,000 Rhode Island homes to make them more energy efficient.
- Won U.S. Department of Energy and the US Environmental Protection Agency ENERGY STAR ‘Century Club Award’
- Purchased a 7,200-square-foot facility moved operations to Pawtucket.
– 2009 Entrepreneur Track Winner
The Compost Plant
- Co-developed a medical device applicator for dispensing its coating technology to create a liquid wound dressing to combat infection.
– 2015 Entrepreneur Track Finalist
- Now serving as Rhode Island's first full-service commercial composting facility.
Dear Kate – 2009 Student Track Finalist
- Was the focus of a high profile article in The New Yorker that detailed the ins and outs of doing photo shoots for women’s underwear.
– 2002 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- Authored an article on forward-looking sonar for Sea Technology.
- Received a 2015 Tibbetts Award from the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Grindz – 2014 Entrepreneur Track Semi-finalist
- Signed a partnership/branding deal with Strider Sports International, Inc., the world’s premier manufacturer and marketer of efficient, no-pedal balance bikes for all ages and abilities.
- Grindz’s protective pants named “a must have for anyone with active children” by examiner.com.
- Grindz products called “cool protective gear for kids” by momtrends.com.
– 2013 Entrepreneur Track Winner
- Successfully raised funds via a Kickstarter campaign earlier this year to develop its 2015 fine jewelry collection.
- Co-founders Haverhill Leach and Alison Cariati lauded for their business model in ltd blog.
|April 2, 2018
||Applications due by 5 pm, Eastern time (U.S.)
|April 9, 2018
|April 17, 2018
||Complete plans due from semi-finalists by noon
|April 25, 2018
||Semi-finalists make 5-minute presentation to judges; finalists selected
|May 2, 2018
||Finalists make 25-minute presentation to judges
|May 17, 2018
||Awards Ceremony where all finalists present and winners are announced. Details.